This Month please bring your "ugly fabric" for our annual Ugly Fabric Auction. Tammie Morrow will have a place set up for you to drop it off. Don't forget to bring money to buy some of the merchandise that is really not ugly at all. It's really a fun event!
The last day to pay for the Lancaster Shopping trip is at our next meeting on May 20. Also, please pay on or pay in full for the upcoming Retreat in Leesburg, VA.
Last month several community service projects were presented to the group. It is suggested that you work on one or all of the projects. Your participation is the only way to guarantee their success. Some of the community service requests requires donations only. They are:
U.S. WOMEN'S VETERANS-Washington, DC - Nadine Mills and Linda Saunders
- Sheets/Pillow Cases to fit extra long twin beds
- Books to build a library
- Small furnishings/accessories/housewares to help furnish an apartment since they will be transitioning out of temporary housing
DC GENERAL FAMILY SHELTER - Charlene Dean
Bring the following to the JUNE meeting:
- Pull-ups sizes 3 - 6
- Disposal Diapers - sizes 3 - 5
- Baby wipes
- Baby bottles
- Baby formula
- Deodorant and soap for women and men
- Body Wash for children
- Tooth paste
MAGAZINES FOR THE JESSUP WOMEN'S PRISON - Katherine Wilson
- May is the last month that quilting, embroidery and craft magazines will be collected
ST. ANN'S CATHOLIC CHURCH - Azalia Butler
- Quilt sizes for toddlers to teenagers can be collected at each meeting through December
HEART PILLOWS for Sibley Memorial Hospital - Sandra Ealy and Community Service Members
- The pattern and instructions will be uploaded to the website and also given out in hard copy at the May meeting
- All sizes are welcome in bright cheery colors. First batch is due at the July meeting. Pillow cases would also be appreciated
- Faces - Sandra Ealy - Make faces from fabric of a person that is dear to you. Details to follow
- Beginner Quilting - Linda Saunders - This ongoing workshop has already started and will take place after our business meeting.
- Tie-Dying - Donnette Cooper - Will teach fabric tie dying
- Spoon Flower - Katherine Wilson - An informative presentation will be given for using this web based service
- Mystery Quilt - Carol Williams - Details to follow
- Fabric Embellishments with Paint - Cynthia Wilson will demonstrate the technique
- Gloria Shelton will demonstrate a unique way to make pot holders.
Thanks to Katherine Wilson for collecting the considerable volume of magazines for the Jessup Women's Prison. Thanks to the members who journeyed to Baltimore in the rain to represent Uhuru at the Lisa Shepard Stewart Trunk Show and Sale. It was well worth the trip. Thanks to Nichelle Sowers for her enlightening presentation on the various types of Sickle Cell.
We wish a speedy recovery to Cynthia York, Maye Van Arsdel, Patsy Huff and any other Uhuru member who is not feeling well. Hurry Back!
Is your church or civic organization sponsoring an event that would be suitable for us to exhibit our raffle quilt? Please let Deborah Stafford know.
Check the member section on the website often for Uhuru announcements. This section can only be accessed with the current password that is provided at the time you pay your yearly dues. Some announcements might also be listed on Carol Williams' Facebook page.
Stay safe until we meet again.